Europe, which for nearly eight decades counted the United States as its military guarantor, just received a lesson in the fickleness of American power.
Last week, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth abruptly canceled the deployment of an armored brigade to what the Pentagon often describes as a “model ally,” Poland. The move caught senior members of the Polish government by surprise. Because European officials were never briefed on the change, they were left to speculate about possible motivations: Perhaps the decision was a product of MAGA’s generalized disdain for Europe. Or maybe it was specific payback for Europe’s failure to help with the Trump administration’s war with Iran.
Visit newsbetting.club for more information.
The Pentagon’s press office rushed to frame the decision as a carefully calculated modification of America’s force posture in Europe. But that was a harder argument to sell after top Army leaders told Capitol Hill they had learned only days earlier of the decision, which had been made above their heads.
Regardless, the Pentagon pressed ahead. Elbridge Colby, the undersecretary of defense for policy, said Thursday on social media that he had met with the Poles to reemphasize “our message that the U.S. is driving real burden-sharing for a European-led conventional defense.”
Minutes later, President Trump reversed the cancellation. He explained his choice not in terms of geopolitical strategy but as stemming from his personal fondness for the country’s right-wing president. “Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump wrote on social media. “Thank you for your attention to this matter!”
The announcement provoked disbelief in Europe: the rapid about-face, the personalized approach to war planning, and the lack of coordination between the president and his own secretary of defense. “This isn’t even a policy,” one European defense official told us. The Army was just as surprised and couldn’t say which forces would be bound for Poland. “President Trump will never say sorry. But I would interpret this as a sorry,” Rob Bauer, a retired admiral of the Royal Netherlands Navy and a former senior NATO official, told us. “It’s basically a kick in the ass for the secretary of defense.”
Current and former U.S. officials told us that America’s unpredictability has consequences that go beyond NATO’s force posture. They said that Moscow will be paying close attention to what changes in the alliance reveal about its cohesion and the political will of its most powerful member. Adding to the whiplash over the Poland deployment, American officials informed their NATO counterparts yesterday that Washington intends to reduce the number of forces it make available to the alliance in the event of a crisis, a move first reported by Reuters. A defense official told us that the changes were directed by Hegseth and “represent an opportunity for our allies to demonstrate they have heard President Trump’s call for them to step up and take primary responsibility for Europe’s defense.” But Jim Townsend, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for European and NATO policy, warned us that taking these forces—among the most ready and capable available to the alliance—off the table has the potential to do real damage. “They’re cutting into muscle now,” he told us.
The U.S. has long called for Europe to shoulder responsibility for more of its own defense. But its stated benchmark for proving that commitment—spending 5 percent of GDP on defense—no longer guarantees continued American troops, weapons, or protection. In the absence of a clear U.S. strategy, European officials say that Washington has instead cultivated uncertainty—either because the Trump administration itself is unsure how it would respond to future Russian aggression or because it sees the lack of clarity as a way to force Europe to do more for itself.
Strategic ambiguity, the U.S. policy of intentionally not saying whether it would defend Taiwan militarily in the event of a Chinese attack, is no longer a policy reserved for the Indo-Pacific. It now defines Washington’s approach to Europe as well.
After the Cold War, the U.S. shrank its presence in Europe, which had constituted more than 400,000 troops scattered across 100 communities. In 2013, the U.S. Army removed the last of its main battle tanks from Germany. Then Russia annexed Crimea. Then it tried to decapitate the Ukrainian state. In response, the United States surged forces eastward. NATO rediscovered deterrence, and Europe relearned the importance of geography.
[Read: Europe Without America]
The current U.S. military footprint in Europe includes roughly 68,000 permanently based active-duty troops, according to Pentagon manpower data from late 2025, alongside thousands of rotational forces. The new levels are near the minimum allowed under the latest Defense Authorization Act, which generally restricts the Pentagon from reducing U.S. troop levels in Europe below 76,000 for more than 45 days.
The aborted plan to hold troops back from Poland actually arose from Trump’s spat with another longtime ally: Germany. After Germany’s chancellor, Friedrich Merz, criticized the U.S. war in Iran, the president vowed to pull U.S. forces from his country. But yanking troops from Germany would have been costly and time-consuming: Families would have needed to pack up, and weapons be sent home. Instead, the thinking, described to us by American officials, was that stopping the next rotational force, most of whom were headed to Poland, would send a quick message to Europe: Speaking out about the administration comes with consequences. The result: Members of the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, based in Fort Hood, Texas, who had been preparing to depart for Poland, were held back.
Europe’s fear is no longer troop reductions themselves. Rather, it’s that American security guarantees now appear contingent on Trump’s glandular impulses. They know that an alliance managed through whim rather than strategy quickly becomes brittle—subject to the kind of ruptures that Moscow is looking for.
A February report from Harvard’s Belfer Center warned that Russia sees a “unique window of opportunity to fracture NATO’s security architecture.” Rather than launching another full-scale invasion, as in Ukraine, the report argued, Moscow is more likely to pursue smaller, more limited operations designed to probe alliance unity and political resolve.
European officials said the movements of several thousand U.S. troops need not be cause for panic, especially as European countries gradually grow the ranks of their armed forces. The German defense ministry, for instance, announced this week that nearly 30,000 people applied to join its military last month, an increase of 21 percent compared with the same month last year.
More alarming would be the withdrawal of infrastructure or what are sometimes called “strategic enablers,” including refueling tankers, integrated-air-defense systems, and intelligence networks. These assets form the backbone of NATO capabilities on the European continent, and allies still rely extensively on the United States for them. Fearful of provoking Trump into removing infrastructure, senior European leaders are mostly staying silent about the troop movements, officials told us.
[Read: Why Europe Is Talking About Nukes]
Some American lawmakers are being less cautious. Representative Don Bacon of Nebraska, a Republican and an avatar of his party’s old-guard thinking on foreign policy, told us that the brigades in question are significant. “They are a deterrent against Russian threats to the eastern flank of the alliance,” he said.
Bacon said that Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich, the commander of U.S. European Command and NATO’s supreme allied commander of Europe, shares his view and specifically advised the administration that canceling the deployment to Poland was “not low risk.” But the Pentagon went ahead anyway. “So this was a decision by the secretary of defense over his four-star general in Europe,” Bacon said. A spokesperson for U.S. European Command declined to comment beyond pointing to recent statements by Grynkewich, who told reporters, “I will not get ahead of any political leadership in the United States.”
When Trump sought to reduce the U.S. military presence in Europe during his first term, members of his Cabinet tried to satisfy the impulse without weakening NATO’s defenses. Mark Esper, who served as defense secretary in 2019 and 2020, advised Trump to take forces out of Germany and position them closer to Russia’s border. “My view was, let’s move them further east: Romania, Bulgaria, Poland,” he told us this week. “I don’t have a problem with moving them around.”
Some of those moves have since been reversed. In October, the U.S. Army said that it would take about 3,000 troops out of Romania, a NATO member that borders Ukraine, and send them home to their base in Kentucky “without replacement.”
This week, at a security conference in Prague, the former Secretary General of NATO Anders Fogh Rasmussen asked Esper whether the allies can still trust the U.S. to defend them: “If Russia were to attack, for instance, one of the Baltic states, would the United States live up to its commitments in NATO’s Article 5?” Esper said that yes, the alliance’s core pledge of mutual defense would hold. He expressed surprise that no one in the audience applauded his answer. That may have been because they did not all believe him.
Among the hundreds of European officials and military officers who gathered for the annual Globsec conference, Rasmussen’s question dominated the debates, and many of the participants seemed to believe that the U.S. under Trump had decided to abandon them. But the summit’s host, Czech President Petr Pavel, tried his best to put a positive spin on that reality, arguing that it should inspire the Europeans to develop their own defenses.